Smith Fig

Smith Fig

Tree from Just Fruits and Exotics, Oct 2015

Observations based on Chandler, AZ Growing conditions:

Breba Crop: No
Main Crop: 1-2
Vigor: low vigor
Production: low-med productivity

A classic, very old variety from the southeastern US. The source tree was obtained from Just Fruits and Exotics. Grows well in Phoenix, but the tree is displaying a very dwarf growing habit: short internode spacing on leaves and branches. So for those who want a small fig tree that will stay small without a lot of additional pruning, this one has the indications of fitting that bill. Figs when ripe have are light green, and flesh is red, rich and jammy. Quite sweet and flavorful with a rich berry-fig flavor and a very pleasant seed cruch. Small/medium eye.

However, it is a very inconsistent producer for me. Smith in LA (high humidity) = great. Smith in AZ (low humidity) = poor producer. Some figs like Smith are well-adapted to high humidity. Some figs like a Mediterranean climite, low humidity. This several year old Smith tree in this environment produces excellent figs about 25% of the time. The other 75% of the figs are either bland / tasteless (cardboard) or completely dried out around the ostiole. I will likely end up top-working this tree.